Membership Benefits Changes
Much has changed since 2016. We moved to the first-class MGS library in Mendota Heights. We started holding our programs at Colonial Church. Then we had to adapt to a pandemic and embrace virtual meeting technology that allowed us to participate from anywhere in the world. We can watch a program recording on our own schedule. Speakers were forced to do their presentations remotely, a trend that will likely continue for speakers not living nearby. We initiated Fikas that allow us to interact with other members and learn from each other. Starting in June our hybrid/virtual programs are being held at the Minnesota Genealogy Center. And now we have added new benefits and also expanded the benefits included in our membership plans.
- NEW – Free Quarterly programs ($10 for non-members).
- Virtual and hybrid programs (i.e., in-person and virtual participants).
- Access to program recordings.
- No pre-registration for Quarterly programs.
- NEW – Free virtual Fikas every month (only available to members).
- NEW - Discount on Fall Conference registration fee.
- Family memberships entitle both family members to the benefits.
- Tidningen quarterly newsletter printed copy (one copy per household).
- Website members-only area, including the Tidningen archive of previous issues.
- Unlimited access to the MGS Library (non-members pay $10 per visit).
- Access to subscriptions such as ArkivDigital, EmiWeb, Ancestry.com, Fold3, Findmypast, early Minnesota church record microfilms.
- NEW - Access to nine Swedish research databases listed in the Research article in this issue.
- Access to individualized research and translation help on Third Thursdays (free but donations are appreciated).
We are always looking for ways to improve our society and make things easier for our members. If you have suggestions, let us know. Want to contribute an article or volunteer in some other way? Let us know. Know someone who might be interested in SGSM? Let THEM know.